Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Welcome to Tails from The Alley

Daisy Mae, gifted to us 
by a friend
My name is Allison Otero and I am, by nature, an animal-lover…ok, that is the understatement of the century! I am plagued by an irrational concern and obsession for all living things – except for roaches…oh, and crickets, which you will learn about in another entry. My feelings towards the way animals are treated often drives me to tears and I will literally think that I should never leave the house again, watch the news again, read Facebook again, etc. for fear that I will see or read something bad that has happened to an animal and I will just die. Ask my husband about the call he received at work when I ran over a squirrel. You know the sound a peacock makes? Well, mix that with the sound of a hyena being skinned alive and you are close to experiencing what he heard.

Big Boi, found on our porch
Because of this crazy obsession, I am a professional pet sitter and animal rescuer in Central Florida. I started my pet sitting business, AlleyCat's Pet Service (alleycatspetservice.com), on October 5, 2011 after being laid off for the second time from an administrative position at a landscape construction company.  They missed me so much the first time they laid me off that they hired me again only to find they STILL didn’t have shit for me to do…I’m convinced they hired me back for entertainment purposes. My pet sitting business keeps me super busy and has been the demise of much of my social life, but I LOVE it. There are so many adorable animal moments that I forget that I am missing every holiday party that I have been invited to; the unconditional love I receive from my client’s pets makes up for every hangover that I could have had…and I should probably thank them for that.

Jackson "Jax", rescued from
A Forever Home Animal Rescue

aforeverhomeanimalrescue.org
As for rescue – this I stumbled upon thanks to a VERY pregnant mama kitty that lived on our back porch giving birth to four kittens in our home, THEN, two weeks later finding four three-week-old kittens abandoned in my mother-in-law’s attic. At the time we had six cats of our own and I needed major help placing all of these kittens because we now had 15 cats in our house. WTF??? I reached out to some wonderful people who have been in the rescue business for a while via Facebook. Thankfully, my saviors, Linda and Vickie (or perhaps I should curse them for dragging me into this!! Just kidding!) came to my rescue and helped me place every single one of those babies into loving homes. The mama (whom we call Mama – so creative) stayed here with us, bumping our total cat count up to an embarrassing seven. Since Mama came along, my husband and I have fostered and placed over 20 cats and kittens. Oh, one more confession – Jackson is our dog. So, yes, we have seven cats and a dog currently residing in our home (pictures attached).  You will hear more about Jackson than you would ever want to so his story will have its own entry.    

Jason, found on Friday the 13th,
in the storm drain in front of our house
My background and university studies have helped me to be successful in my business and I am truly thankful to my parents for paying a bazillion dollars so that I could obtain a degree in an area that would assist me in opening and running my business. Ok, this is a complete and utter lie – I have a degree in Speech and Language Pathology. That’s right, folks…my amazing parents actually DID pay a bazillion dollars for what they thought would afford me a respectable job. They dreamt of me possibly opening up my own practice, helping poor children with stuttering problems or severe head injuries. Instead, I spend most of my days picking up dog poop, sifting through and harvesting cat feces and feeding live crickets to blue frogs, among other things. Don’t get me wrong, my parents are very proud of my success, and they let me know it all the time, but they could have probably skipped forking over thousands of dollars to a university (Valdosta State University…go Blazers!) to pay for a degree that I will NEVER use. I’m assuming it’s the same feeling they had when they forked over thousands of dollars for me to marry what EVERYONE knew (including myself but I was 23 and thought I knew what I was doing) was a total douche bag…my first husband. Sorry Mom and Dad! One day, when my pet sitting biz is hugely successful, I will pay you back!

Mama, found on our porch
So on to my blog. Although I am a pet sitter by trade, I do have a creative side and, not to toot my own horn, have been told that I have a way with words and I think I’m pretty hilarious (TOOT-TOOT!). The pet sitting business is a goldmine of SUPER funny stories that I think the world would be a happier place for knowing about. So, this blog, although heavy on pet sitting stories and the trials and tribulations of being in this business, will largely be about my life in general, the amazing people who I am lucky enough to run around with, my wonderful family, my animals, rescuing animals and my husband.

The Dude, found on our porch
NOTE: There WILL be grammatical errors, punctuation issues and a gross misuse of the words "who", "whom", "laying" and lying." That sentence was probably full of them. I know this.
Sasha, rescued from 
The Cat Protection Society
thecatprotectionsociety.org





I will do my best not to offend, but please keep in mind that I pick up dog shit for a living so what do you expect?

Bruce Wayne, found on our porch











No comments:

Post a Comment