Saturday, March 29, 2014

How To Start A Pet Sitting Business...It's Easy!

When I started my pet sitting business two and a half years ago, I made the classic mistake of taking on any and all clients no matter where they were located. I even went door-to-door sticking fliers in doors in Casselberry (I live in Winter Garden, which is about an hour drive from Casselberry - my parents live in Casselberry). I was a little 'willy-nilly' with things.

When you start a small pet sitting business, your mindset - well, mine, anyways - was, "Get as much business as you can IMMEDIATELY!" - I didn't think about the long-term repercussions like: when I actually get busy on MY side of town, how will I accommodate the clients on this side of town? Gas? My sanity...although, to be honest, my sanity went out the window the second I decided to start this biz. I didn't think about, or even know, the real life impacts that this business would have on my life.

There are people you credit with your success and usually it's a family member, a spouse, parents, etc. In my case, it is a complete random person who I had contact with for exactly two weeks of my life. I interviewed for a position and would have given my right ovary (either one would have done since neither did anything for my reproductive ventures) to get it. When I was offered the job, I broke down in tears to my 'future boss' telling him that I was considering starting a pet sitting business and I was torn. He told me to follow my heart and do what I thought was best and, most importantly, that he thought I would be amazing at pet sitting. I turned the job down and promptly got hammered thinking that I had made a huge mistake.

I have learned a lot in the two and a half years of having this business. I complain about my job...A LOT...ask my husband. But, being the animal lover that I am, I feel like this is my lot in life (yes, that was a Star Wars reference). I can't think of any other job that I would complain less about!

Not that I am an expert, BUT, there are a few things you should consider when starting a pet sitting business:

This business is not for the person who likes a set schedule; it is not for the person who does not appreciate the bark and complete un-abandoned mauling by a dog who adores your presence every day because their people work all the time and you are the one person who makes it better; it is not for the person who gets annoyed at slobber on EVERY part of them; it is not for the person who doesn't like to be knocked over enthusiastically into the grass each afternoon by a dog who is so happy to see you that they can't stand it; it is not for the person who gets disgusted at the sight and, more importantly, the smell of poop; it is not for the person who is not prepared to walk in to a house and see an animal who is dying and needs help crossing over the Rainbow Bridge; it is not for the person who can't handle a cat who is in labor with her first litter of kittens; it is not for the person who can't do eye drops or ear drops or nail clippings or snuggling because, like many human children, the animal is afraid of thunder; it's not for the person who gets so involved with their clients lives that they want to curl up and die when their beloved pet passes away - God forbid, their husband...

It's a small pet sitting business when it begins, but along the way, you gain more than you ever bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment